Friday, July 25, 2008

The Answer Is...

Well, I thought I'd given you a challenging question yesterday, but it took Bunny B. about five minutes (literally) to identify the author in question as J.K. Rowling.

I myself was as fascinated by this little tidbit from Rowling as I was by Francine Prose's declaration that sometimes you should tell instead of show. I realize that J.K. Rowling can pretty much write what she wants to now and it will be published and successful, but the quote seemed to indicate that she's never worried about who her target audience is. How do you ever get a publisher or an agent with an attitude like that? Generally when you do a proposal, you have to be very specific as to who the book is intended for. Amazing!

Anyway, Bunny B. gets an extra five entries in the drawing. And I'd like to ask you, Bunny, to leave a comment here telling me how you got the answer so fast. Had you read the interview? (Which, by the way, is available on amazon.com.) Or it just sounded like something Rowling would say?

Anyway, I'll try to think up something harder next time!

4 comments:

  1. Oops. I posted the answer on the previous post. Hope my entry's still valid :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Bunny!

    Robin, don't make them harder, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I picture my target audience as women like me. I write what I'd like to read. All that gobbledygook they make writers put on those proposals, i.e. target audience, marketing strategies, etc., sends my tedium meter into the red zone! But we have to do it, I guess. Unless we're J.K. Rowling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it goes back to what I have heard from many others--it's all about the story! If the story is compelling enough the reader will keep reading in spite of telling, mixed POVs etc.

    ReplyDelete