Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fourth of July with the Washingtons


Hope you had a great Fourth of July. I can honestly say I celebrated the Fourth in a very appropriate way this year. I attended the Independence Day Festival in Henry County, Georgia, along with George and Martha Washington, John and Abigail Adams, Patrick Henry, and others.


Best of all, Martha was played by none other than my niece, Kristi (second from right, next to George), whom you last saw as the Kissing Wench at the Renaissance Festival. Quite a step up socially, from Kissing Wench to First First Lady.


It was all quite authentic, right down to the genuine Colonial camera man.

I myself am not the greatest camera person in the world, as evidenced by the above photo, but I wanted to show this one for the beautiful scenery. It really was a fun festival, on a farm that's a historic Civil War battlefield. The characters presented a running story throughout the day, with Redcoats breaking up a proclamation by Patrick Henry, duels, and a ladies' tea where women's issues of the day were discussed. (It was heartily agreed by all that women should be educated. Whether education should be co-educational was a bit more controversial.)

Since I normally spend the Fourth of July catching up on projects, like cleaning out my closets, this was a welcome break.

Did you do anything special? Hope you'll share!




2 comments:

  1. Went to the gym, which I need to do a whole lot more of, cooked blackberry dumplings (yes, I did) and went to see the fireworks show at a nearby town with hubby and kids, who enjoy fireworks a lot more than I do. :-) Not as patriotic as you, Robin, but the fireworks is our family tradition.

    Hey, are you going to the conference this year? I AM!!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell I'm excited?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that! I love Kristy's dress. One of these days, we'll have to do that costuming party we talked about and fidget with making stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete