Sunday, July 20, 2008

Winter Keeps Us Warm

I never thought I would refer to T.S. Eliot twice in a short span of time. As I've mentioned, I'm not big on poetry, and it sometimes seems to me that I spent half of my college career slogging through The Waste Land and trying to make sense of it.

Only one line really stuck with me through the years: "Winter kept us warm." I mean, what the heck did that mean? I hate being cold and therefore have always hated winter, and couldn't figure out what ole Eliot was getting at.

Today, as I shivered once again in the middle of a typical Georgia heat wave, I understood. That's right--we're having a heat wave and I'm shivering. If you're cold-natured like me and you've ever spent spring or summer in Georgia, you'll know what I'm talking about--a little thing called "air conditioning."

Lately, in winter, I do fine. I put on my boots and my sweaters and, except in those really bad cold snaps, do fine. The central heating in all the public buildings is generally kept at a reasonable level, so all is well. In other words, winter keeps me warm.

But just let the outside temperature climb to about 65 degrees, and everyone runs for their air conditioners. They may have to set them on 62 to make any difference, but if that's what it takes, by golly, they'll do it.

Most public buildings feel like meat lockers. I tend to dress in layers, wearing sleeveless blouses so I can make it from my car to a building in the blazing heat without fainting, then whipping out my sweater the moment I get inside. Occasionally, as the blasts from the a.c. vents and ceiling fans whip around my head, I wish that women still wore hats.

The interesting thing to me is that everyone talks about "going green" and conserving, but no one seems to be scrimping on the air conditioning around here. A couple of years ago I stayed in a ritzy hotel that had little printed notices all around the room about their conservation efforts. They boasted that they wouldn't be changing my sheets every day for the sake of the environment, and they asked me to re-use my towels. And yet, the air conditioning was set on 58 degrees when I came in! Worse yet, after I turned it WAY up, the housekeeping staff turned it back down the next day.

Church is interesting, too. The men are all dressed in shirts, coats and ties, and thick socks. Women are in sleeveless dresses, with no stockings and sandals. How can anyone possibly get the temperature right with a disparity like that?

Personally, I think the men are winning.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one, sister! I was in the nursery this weekend at church. A baby was drolling all over me and her shirt was sopping wet, when what should happen, but the AC kick on and freeze us both?

    Please! I'm one of those people who love getting into a hot car and letting the warmth seep into my bones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I totally relate to this! This is why when you go to a conference in Dallas in September, you better bring your sweaters!

    We went to our library two days ago and even though we were only there about 20 minutes, it felt good to get back in our burning hot car! And I wonder how much money these government-funded places could save if they just stopped freezing us all to death! Turn that thermostat up five degrees (or more).

    But there are people who like it cold. They crank down those thermostats and love it. Not me. But if you can believe it, I grew up in south Alabama without air conditioning. Even my school didn't have air conditioning. When I went to college, I was totally unprepared for how cold some people like to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm one of those who likes it cold. I get overheated VERY easily. My mother, younger sister, and I went to a mall recently that had air conditioning, but it was set very high. We had to get me some ice cream and cold water because I was so hot I was having trouble speaking in conherent sentences. And it was comfortable to my mother (who is cold-natured like you, Robin). At church, they keep it cold, so the men will be comfortable in their suits. Ladies bring sweaters. I love it because I'm comfortable in short sleeves then. You can always put more layers on to get warm, but if you're overheated, you can only take so much off--especially in church! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Altho I have a friend who would agree with kathleen (her DH lives in sweats, jackets and a tobaggon year around!) I agree with Robin and the rest of you. I like my house to be 77-78 if it is 90 outside like it is today, but hate going in to AC businesses, churches, etc. who go overboard on a good thing. My Dh said last night that he thought AC was the ruination of the social life of the south as no one sits out on their front porches fanning and visiting with their neighbors anymore--they're all inside in the AC. I don't hope for the fuel crisis to get worse, but that would perhaps curtail some of this over-cooling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should live with my new roommate, Robbie. She makes us keep the a/c on 90 during the day while we're gone- poor animals, though, with all that hair- they're at home. She thinks if it is still on, only set at 90, we can save energy. I don't know if it makes it better or worse, though, b/c at night we put it back down to 75.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't stand the cold, but I love it! I'm kinda weird like that?

    ReplyDelete