Monday, July 14, 2008

Words that Last

I wish I could write psalms. The book of Psalms is one of my favorite parts of the Bible, and often when I sit down for my quiet time with God, I wish I could put my feelings into such beautiful lines. So far it hasn't happened, though. Probably because I'm so terrible with any kind of poetry.

One thing I love about the Chronological Bible I'm reading this year is that, as I'm reading about the life of David, if there's a psalm he seems to have written at that time of his life, the editors include it at the appropriate point in the narrative. I've always loved the story of David, but reading his prayers, his emotions as he cries out to God in the middle of the events of his life makes me feel so close to him. Sometimes I wish I could tell him--and the other psalmists--how often I have turned to their words to express my own feelings. To calm my fears. To remind myself why I should trust the Lord.

Last night, one of David's psalms had these lines: "O Lord, what are mortals that you should notice us, mere humans that you should care for us? For we are like a breath of air; our days are like a passing shadow." (Psalm 144:3-4, NLT)

It's true that David is long gone--gone like the vapor or shadows he named. And yet, there I sat, reading his words, breathing them in, feeling the truth of them fresh and new for myself. I was reminded that, though we mortals don't last very long, our words do. Words for good and words for evil.

It's both an inspiration and a caution for those of us who write. How I hope to be able to pen words that will last, but only if they're true and good. Only if someday, they can bring someone else a ray of encouragement and faith on a dark day.

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I have always loved the feeling that I have after reading the Psalms. It is so encouraging an gives me peace. That feeling is why I have always wanted to be a writer. I want to have the opportunity to encourage people with my words while doing something that I know will make God proud of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I did a post on perseverance sometime back and idly googling it came to your blog and loved it.

    What you say about our words living on after us is so true. Its almost scary. I just thought the blog i post on will also be there in the virtual world long after I am gone.

    Good luck with ur novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love the book of Psalms because the writers are so open with their emotions, something that I aspire to do. The minister in the church where I grew up said he read the book of Psalms every month besides his other Bible reading--5 chapters a day. I think another reason that I love it so much is that I want to be a person "after God's own heart" like David was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Psalms, too. I've been amazed at how many times I'll read through them and find how similar my hard scenario is to his. I love how God had him write words that were so timeless, regardless of culture and era.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Psalms too. They have been such a comfort and encouragement to me in so many times of my life, especially the hard times. The Bible just would not be complete without them. God is so good, so perfect and gracious, and the Psalms are proof of his loving faithfulness.

    One reason I feel so passionate about the Psalms is because a man at our church years ago (we don't go there anymore!) said he couldn't figure out why the Psalms were even in the Bible. And I felt he was actually sneering at them. And this was a person who prided himself on being a Bible scholar. Boy did that get my dander up! I had a few words to say to him! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a stark responsibility. It's no wonder the apostle Paul said teachers of God's Word would be held accountable for their words. And James, talking about the damage words can do, said the tongue is a fire. The Psalms are definitely encouraging. David fulfilled his responsibility with words well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To read about King David's life, how human he was, but he loved God and repented often.

    It gives hope to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Afternoon! I also enjoy reading Psalms. Thanks, Cindi
    jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete