Saturday, September 20, 2008

Endings and Beginnings

A few days ago, I mentioned that my feisty little cat Cera had gotten a bad diagnosis from the vet. Last Sunday, she passed away. Since she would have had her twentieth birthday in October, I suppose I couldn't have hoped for much more time with her. Plus, she wasn't herself at the end, and I know she didn't feel good, so I'm glad she didn't linger.

Still, when you lose a little animal friend that you've had that long, it's sort of like losing a part of your life. When I got her as a kitten, I was in my twenties. Now I'm...well, you can do the math. It's sort of like the thread linking me to those younger days just snapped.
I also just lost another animal in my life, a cat named Myman that I rescued a few years ago and asked my mother to keep at her house. He was an old kitty, too.
It's interesting, though, that some animal babies have come into my life just as I'm losing my old friends. Remember I told you about going to fetch the kittens that were dumped at my hairdresser's house? They're thriving and they're such a joy.


And then, there's a new panda cub that was born at ZooAtlanta on August 30. I'm so excited that our pandas, Lun Lun and Yang Yang, have had not one but two babies during their stay in Atlanta. The zoo has a live Panda Cam where you can watch mother and baby. I always find it soothing to take a few minutes and watch that big furry mother cuddling that tiny, wiggly baby. Check it out if you have a moment.


Last, I still have Wendy, who seems to be going out of her way to comfort me. Or keep me occupied, anyway--for example, with games of Hide and Seek. I heard some muffled yowls a couple of days ago and spend awhile looking for her. Here's where I found her.

Never a dull moment!

3 comments:

  1. Leave it to Wendy to get stuck in a closet! LOL I never will forget sitting on your couch watching a movie with you and jumping half out of my skin when I heard this unearthly freakish trill. You just laughed and said, "That's just Wendy calling me; she wants me to come upstairs with her." (And they say himalayans are quiet?) Then, you called her, and she came. I'd never seen a cat come when called unless food was involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your kitty dying, Robin. I can't imagine having a pet that long! You can't help but miss her and mourn for her. I would feel the same way.

    Oh, and thank you so much for letting me know about the new panda cub! Sounds like a good reason to visit Atlanta again!!! My kids would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, your new kittens look SO much like two we raised last summer. One of them went to author Kim Sawyer and the other (9 kittens in all) went to some of her family and friend...I call Kim my Kitty Broker. But we did keep one. I'm sos sorry about your kitties though. We have a 14-year-old cat and he's old and thin and I'm sure not long for this world. But he's been such a friend that it's hard to think about losing him. But I'm glad you've been blessed with two new kitties. They are such a joy in life.

    ReplyDelete